[pypy-dev] cpyext, PyArray, and matplotlib

Matti Picus matti.picus at gmail.com
Fri Aug 2 13:25:43 CEST 2013

Stefan H. Muller has been working hard to expand cpyext enough so that
matplotlib non-interactive backends can work with PyPy. The steps to get
it all working are included[0]. While pypy translates for him (on MacOS
I think), I could not get past the platform checks on linux 64. If
anyone would like to help, the branch is pypy-pyarray and the author is
Stefan__ on IRC (off work hours).

The traceback is here
http://buildbot.pypy.org/builders/pypy-c-jit-linux-x86-64/builds/1602/steps/translate/logs/stdio
the last lines are

[translation:ERROR]  CompilationError: CompilationError(err="""
[translation:ERROR] 	/tmp/usession-pypy-pyarray-0/platcheck_35.o: In function `PyComplex_FromCComplex':
[translation:ERROR] 	platcheck_35.c:(.text+0x13): undefined reference to `_PyComplex_FromCComplex'

Matti

[0] Matplotlib on pypy
0. hack numpypy to implement __version__ and get_include()
1. build pypy from pypy/pypy-pyarray branch
2. install it into a virtualenv
3. download and install rlamy's pypy-hack https://github.com/rlamy/numpy/tree/pypy-hack
4. donwload and install stefan's matplotlib https://github.com/shmuller/matplotlib
5. use a non-interactive backend