[pypy-dev] Windows 7 64-bit Problems installing virutalenv (pip is now working)

Gelonida N gelonida at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 16:33:23 CEST 2012

On 09/09/2012 09:46 AM, Dario Bertini wrote:
> This is a known problem in pip itself
>
> https://bugs.pypy.org/issue702
>
> (I guess that the same might be happening with virtualenv? )

Thanks for your answer Dario.

I'm now able to install pip.

I tested pip and could install
pygments and SOAPpy

I also seem to be able to install virtualenv with pip, though it reports
some warnings:

> C:\test>\tools\pypy-1.9\bin\pip.exe install virtualenv
> Downloading/unpacking virtualenv
>   Downloading virtualenv-1.8.2.tar.gz (2.2MB): 2.2MB downloaded
>   Running setup.py egg_info for package virtualenv
>
>     warning: no previously-included files matching '*' found under directory 'docs\_templates'
>     warning: no previously-included files matching '*' found under directory 'docs\_build'
> Installing collected packages: virtualenv
>   Running setup.py install for virtualenv
>
>     warning: no previously-included files matching '*' found under directory 'docs\_templates'
>     warning: no previously-included files matching '*' found under directory 'docs\_build'
>     Installing virtualenv-script.py script to C:\tools\pypy-1.9\bin
>     Installing virtualenv.exe script to C:\tools\pypy-1.9\bin
>     Installing virtualenv-2.7-script.py script to C:\tools\pypy-1.9\bin
>     Installing virtualenv-2.7.exe script to C:\tools\pypy-1.9\bin
> Successfully installed virtualenv
> Cleaning up...
>
> C:\test>

When trying to create a vritualenv
with

virtualenv.exe targetdir

I get a new error this time.

the target directory is already created and some files exist already.
However scripts like 'activate.bat' are still missing.

I think the important error line is
> DistributionNotFound: setuptools>=0.6c11

with 'pip freeze' I see:
distribute==0.6.28
an alphabetic comparison of the versions would indicate, that my
distribute version is too old :-(

I can also paste the full error log, but I think this is the line, that
counts.