[pypy-dev] change of strategy for the py3k branch?

Antonio Cuni anto.cuni at gmail.com
Wed May 30 12:08:39 CEST 2012

On 05/30/2012 11:49 AM, Maciej Fijalkowski wrote:

> Hi Anto.
>
> I think 1) is a no-no for me. This would first mean we have py3k in the
> default checkout (why???) and also that we need to make sure that py3k tests
> pass all the time (they don't pass to start with). I don't see this being any
> beneficial to the current model.

no, it would leave in the py3k branch. No merging to default unless there is a
consensus.

> Besidies, this also means we'll never upgrade rpython to py3k (which might be
> a good thing, just saying).

nothing would stops us to take the interpreter/ from py3k and port rpython to
python 3, although I'm not sure if it would be a good idea (euphemism :-)).
But this is orthogonal to this discussion.

> Overall I'm very against pushing *any* burden
> towards other pypy devs, we have quite enough work.

keeping it in the py3k branch would not change anything for people who don't
care about py3k. That's why I asked for opinions of people who care :-)

> How about you start with
> detaching interpreter and translation toolchain so those things can leave
> separately?

no. This would be too much work for little benefit from the py3k point of
view. Of course if it happens independently then py3k would benefit of it, but
the task itself is not on top of my priorities.

ciao,
Anto