[pypy-dev] Some NumPyPy propositions

Dmitrey dmitrey15 at ukr.net
Wed Jan 18 13:18:17 CET 2012

On 01/18/2012 01:26 PM, Carl Friedrich Bolz wrote:
> On 01/18/2012 11:27 AM, Dmitrey wrote:
> > As for the table, if you think it's hard to create and maintain, I
> could
> > create it by myself, fill by currently done functions, share edit
> > permission with you, and you will share it with other volunteers, to
> > keep them and other people of numpy funcs that are done and under
> > development. I just thought you would prefer to be creator and single
> > owner of the table and that it doesn't take much time to be done,
> that's
> > why I had proposed it to be done by you. Also, maybe it would be a good
> > idea to provide link to the table from main pypy.org webpage.
>
> I was wondering, wouldn't a simple page on PyPy's bitbucket wiki work
> best?:
>
> https://bitbucket.org/pypy/pypy/wiki/Home
>
> I don't think something fancy like a table is necessary, there aren't
> really hundreds of people working on Numpypy. If you could start such a
> page, I think that would be pretty cool.
I have essential background on editing ordinary wiki - it's engine of my
website for 5+ years - but i don't understand the link to wiki you
mentioned. Does editing the wiki require changing something in Python
files and then committing it to mercurial repository? In either case,
editing the wiki is more complex than editing online spreadsheet table.
I have created a sample of google spreadsheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ak7GVY0fCdaidE90aHRTVDdNY1puQkg5LVR1SEs5NGc
There are 2 possible options:
* Allow anyone to edit (no sign-in required)
* Only people explicitly granted permission can access (google sign-up
is required)
Which one would you prefer? Currently I set it to 1st ("allow
everyone"). For 2nd option users with edit rights can be append recursively.
Also, which changes would you recommend to done (if you support the
whole idea, of course)?
I have some free time to work on it along with some pypy funcs to implement.
If for some reasons you prefer another person to be owner of the google
/ another engine table like this - no problem, let the person create
another table and (if required) copy-paste some data from the table I've
done.

BTW, I have registered in bugs.pypy.org, but confirmation email hasn't
been arrived for several hours, and re-registration doesn't help.
Let me inform you about a couple of bugs I found recently:

 >>> np.array(1).reshape(1,1)
array([[1]])
RPython traceback:
   File "interpreter_gateway.c", line 554, in BuiltinCode_funcrun_obj
   File "implement_22.c", line 26204, in
BuiltinActivation_UwS_BaseArray_ObjSpace_args_w_
   File "module_micronumpy_interp_numarray.c", line 51133, in
BaseArray_descr_reshape
Fatal RPython error: NotImplementedError
Aborted

 >>> np.array([1,2,3],'float')
array([ 1.,  2.,  3.])

Traceback (most recent call last):