[pypy-dev] Some NumPyPy propositions

Dmitrey dmitrey15 at ukr.net
Tue Jan 17 19:22:37 CET 2012

Hi,

> I had proposed you to create an online table, where
> NumPy functions are split into the following categories:
> * already ported
> * under development (preferably with name of the person who works on it)
> * not started yet
> Is it possible to get the data like this? This way other possible
> contributors (maybe including me) could select an appropriate (i.e. they are
> capable of) function for contribution, and other people could estimate the
> progress done.

 > Yes, we're working on such thing. The temporary location is at
https://bitbucket.org/fijal/hack2/src/default/numready, we'll probably
create a nightly static HTML.

Well, I just got this:

  *

            File
            "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/Flask-0.8-py2.7.egg/flask/app.py",
            line /1518/, in |__call__|

    return self.wsgi_app(environ, start_response)

  *

            File
            "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/Flask-0.8-py2.7.egg/flask/app.py",
            line /1506/, in |wsgi_app|

    response = self.make_response(self.handle_exception(e))

  *

            File
            "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/Flask-0.8-py2.7.egg/flask/app.py",
            line /1504/, in |wsgi_app|

    response = self.full_dispatch_request()

  *

            File
            "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/Flask-0.8-py2.7.egg/flask/app.py",
            line /1264/, in |full_dispatch_request|

    rv = self.handle_user_exception(e)

  *

            File
            "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/Flask-0.8-py2.7.egg/flask/app.py",
            line /1262/, in |full_dispatch_request|

    rv = self.dispatch_request()

  *

            File
            "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/Flask-0.8-py2.7.egg/flask/app.py",
            line /1248/, in |dispatch_request|

    return self.view_functions[rule.endpoint](**req.view_args)

  *

            File "/home/dmitrey/Install/hack2/numready/numready.py",
            line /20/, in |index|

    pypy = read_all_numpy_funcs(sys.executable, 'numpypy')

  *

            File
            "/home/dmitrey/Install/hack2/numready/_numready/process.py",
            line /21/, in |read_all_numpy_funcs|

    assert not err

    AssertionError

Well, it doesn't matter essentially, from the code I just see it parses
dir(numpypy) and doesn't provide information on the funcs been worked
on, thus maybe my own efforts to port a func will be just a waste of
time, because someone other will make it done before me.

So, I've tried today's nightly build;
functions *ravel*, *flatten* and *where*, that are extremely important
(they occur very often) are unimplemented yet;

Extremely**important function*dot *for matrix multiplication has very
strange behavior:

20.0
CPython result:
 >>> np.dot(np.ones((2,4)),np.array([1,2,3,4]))
array([ 10.,  10.])

I haven't tested any further, it already enough to make a sad conclusion
about current numpypy progress and quality. In either way, I would like
to have possibility to contribute some funcs, what should I do? Can I
obtain git edit rights (or you're using something else, like mercury or
svn?)
Also, I would like to stay tuned or even participate in numpypy
discussion, but mail list already has high flow wrt JIT backends and
other info that has no interest to me, I guess reading it is only a
waste of time for many other PyPy-numpy users. Is it possible to create
other mail list, e.g. PyPy-Math, for discussion of numpy, scipy ports
and other related info?

Regards, D.
http://openopt.org/Dmitrey