[pypy-dev] How to turn a crawling caterpillar of a VM into a graceful butterfly

Maciej Fijalkowski fijall at gmail.com
Sun Jan 1 14:52:47 CET 2012

On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 6:58 PM, Laurence Tratt <laurie at tratt.net> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 05:45:35PM +0100, Armin Rigo wrote:
>
> Hi Armin,
>
>>>  func main():
>>>    i := 0
>>>    while i < 100000:
>>>      i += 1
>> A quick update: on this program, with 100 times the number of iterations,
>> "converge-opt3" runs in 2.6 seconds on my laptop, and "converge-jit" runs
>> in less than 0.7 seconds.  That's already a 4x speed-up :-)  I think that
>> you simply underestimated the warm-up times.
>
> In fairness, I did know that that program benefits from the JIT at least
> somewhat :) I was wondering if there are other micro-benchmarks that the PyPy
> folk found paricularly illuminating / surprising when optimising PyPy.
>
> There's also something else that's weird. Try "time make regress" with
> --opt=3 and --opt=jit. The latter is often twice as slow as the former. I
> have no useful intuitions as why at the moment.
>
> Yours,
>

> Laurie
> --
> Personal                                             http://tratt.net/laurie/
> The Converge programming language                      http://convergepl.org/
>   https://github.com/ltratt              http://twitter.com/laurencetratt

The most coarse-grained test would be PYPYLOG=jit-summary:- <whatever
commands you want to run>, that should provide you some feedback on
tracing and other warmup-related times as well as some basic stats.
Note that pypy-jit is almost never slowe than pypy-no-jit, but it's
certainly slower than CPython for running tests (most of the time).
Tests are the particular case of jit-unfriendly code, because ideally
they execute each piece of code once.

Cheers,
fijal