[pypy-dev] Bringing Cython and PyPy closer together

Maciej Fijalkowski fijall at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 10:56:40 CET 2012

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 11:48 AM, Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml at behnel.de> wrote:
> Maciej Fijalkowski, 18.02.2012 10:35:
>> On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 11:27 AM, Stefan Behnel wrote:
>>> Given that XML processing is currently slower in PyPy than in CPython, I
>>> don't think that's all that bad. Users can still switch their imports to
>>> ElementTree if they only want to push XML out and I imagine that lxml would
>>> still be at least as fast as ElementTree under PyPy for the way in.
>>
>> Are you sure actually?
>
> I'm sure it's currently much slower, see here:
>
> http://blog.behnel.de/index.php?p=210
>
> I'm not sure the quickly patched lxml is as fast in PyPy as it is in
> CPython, but there is certainly room for improvements, as I mentioned
> before. A substantial part of it runs in properly hand tuned C, after all,
> and thus doesn't need to go through cpyext or otherwise talk to PyPy.
>
> Stefan

Can you please send me or post somewhere numbers? I'm fairly bad at
trying to deduce them from the graph (although that doesn't change
that the graph is very likely more readable).

I'm not sure there are easy ways to optimize. Sure cpyext is slower
than ctypes, but we cannot achieve much more than that. Certainly we
cannot do unboxing (boxes might be only produced to make cpyext happy
for example). Unless I'm misunderstanding your intentions, can you
elaborate?

I somehow doubt it's possible to make this run fast using cpyext
(although there are definitely some ways). Maybe speeding up
ElementTree would be the way if all we want to get is a fast XML
processor? I doubt this is the case though.

I'm waiting for other insights, I'm a bit clueless.

Cheers,
fijal