[pypy-dev] Javascript interpreter and r_uint

Leonardo Santagada santagada at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 14:08:33 CET 2012

On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 8:14 AM, Maciej Fijalkowski <fijall at gmail.com> wrote:

> * the correct semicolon insertion requires a different parser
> (standard says LL(1))

The apple javascript parser (and maybe V8) don't use a LL(1) parser and
still cope with ASI so maybe there are alternatives to this... but yep, for
better error messages someone should take better care of the parser.

> * regular expressions are not supported

would be nice to have python regexes as a start in the js interpreter...
but I don't know if the pypy-python interpreter code is reusable.

> * xml literals are unsupported

They are only supported in firefox and flash so I don't think too many
people use it, but then if needed you can try
https://github.com/laverdet/js-xml-literal

What I would work on is:
 - having more granular tests
 - jit support
 - benchmark suite
 - co-routine support, for having something like gevent for javascript
 - ???
 - profit

If you could have a fast javascript vm with gevent instead of pure callback
based programming could be a good alternative to node.js

--

Leonardo Santagada