[pypy-dev] pypy android

David Schneider david.schneider at picle.org
Fri Aug 31 10:10:51 CEST 2012

Hi,

> On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 10:01 PM, Maciej Fijalkowski <fijall at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is there such a thing as pypy for android in the first place?
To my knowledge there isn't really a PyPy for android so far.

> I think that the ARM JIT backend supports Android, at least if you
> look at the version numbers of the processors.  I don't know if this
> has been tested so far.

Based on the requirements PyPy could in Theory work on Android, it is Linux based, allows JIT compilation, the commonly used hardware matches what the backend supports. But AFAIK android uses a different libc, called bionic, and probably some other custom libraries making it a bit harder, but probably not impossible to cross translate for Android as we do for ARM/Linux using a chroot/qemu environment.

David