[pypy-dev] Status of ARM backend

Chris Ball cjb at laptop.org
Mon Sep 5 19:49:43 CEST 2011

Hi folks,

On Fri, Sep 02 2011, Zooko O'Whielacronx wrote:
> I asked on the #linaro channel on IRC (related to the Linaro
> organization [1]) and Chris Ball said he could arrange for one of the
> OLPC project's [2] special large-RAM dev boards to serve as a
> buildslave. What's the next step? Maybe someone should volunteer to
> install buildbot on it and Chris should give that person ssh access?

fijal on IRC helped me to get set up, but it looks like my board won't
be helpful -- it's armv5tel, and the ARM backend wants armv7l.  Running
test_all gives:

[cjb at koji3 pypy]$ python ./pypy/test_all.py pypy/jit/backend/arm -x
========================== test session starts ===========================
platform linux2 -- Python 2.7.2 -- pytest-2.1.0.dev4
pytest-2.1.0.dev4 from /home/cjb/pypy/pytest.pyc
collected 1494 items

pypy/jit/backend/arm/test/test_arch.py ....
pypy/jit/backend/arm/test/test_assembler.py .Illegal instruction
[cjb at koji3 pypy]$

So, unless it's easy and worthwhile to add armv5tel support to the ARM
backend, I'll give up for now and let you know if I find any large-RAM
ARMv7 boards in the future.

Thanks,

- Chris.
--