[pypy-dev] PyPy 1.7 - widening the sweet spot

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Tue Nov 22 10:10:45 CET 2011

Hi Phyo,

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 09:38, Phyo Arkar <phyo.arkarlwin at gmail.com> wrote:
> in my Gentoo based Sabayon they are already gone. and i believe next latest
> Ubuntu may use 1.0.0 too.

The point is of course that doing binary releases on Linux is always a
bit of a problem, unless we ship everything as included static
libraries, which is a bit nonsensical IMHO for a project like PyPy.

Moreover, if openssl 1.0.0 is binary compatible with openssl 0.9.8,
then I might rather put the blame on the openssl project for releasing
two binary compatible versions with a different (un-cross-linkable)
first number.  But I will not do so: I guess that they are not
supposed to be totally binary compatible, and there are subtle
differences.

Is there anyone that can (1) make sure the differences don't matter,
possibly by looking at how the CPython source evolved; and (2) maybe
come up with a way to say "link against openssl either 0.9.8 or 1.0.0"
in the binary?

A bientôt,

Armin.