[pypy-dev] Trouble building pypy

Jay Parlar parlar at gmail.com
Sun May 15 02:31:28 CEST 2011

On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 4:51 PM, Leonardo Santagada <santagada at gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe you are using macports?
>
> If I get that error there is a problem finding gettext 64bits. IIRC
> pypy on osx doesn't use gettext at all.
>
> You can try to install a universal (or at least 64bit) gettext like
> the one from rudix[1][2], but I think your problem is in your python,
> try to use the apple provided one. I'm lurking at the #pypy channel on
> freenode and I can try to help.
>
> [1] http://rudix.org/
> [2] http://code.google.com/p/rudix/downloads/detail?name=gettext-0.18.1.1-1.dmg&can=2&q=gettext

I'm not running macports or fink, or anything similar. The Python I
used to build it was the 1.5 binary release of PyPy, which I'd figure
would be fine.

My main goal right now is to dig into the PyPy internals a little, try
to learn something about how it all works. I spoke with Alex Gaynor on
Twitter a bit, and he said that I can do that just by running the PyPy
tests, no need to do a full translation. So I think for now I'll just
forget about trying to get the translation working on my system, and
start playing with the tests.

Cheers!

Jay P.