[pypy-dev] Pypy custom interpreter JIT question

Andrew Brown brownan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 22:05:49 CEST 2011

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 2:09 PM, Dima Tisnek <dimaqq at gmail.com> wrote:

> What if bf code was really really large?

I've only been testing with the examples at hand included in my repo. The
mandelbrot and towers of hanoi examples are pretty big though. If you can
find some larger examples, I'd like to try them.

I think it can be a great example. It's very educational ;-)

> It could go into official docs/howto too.

Awesome! I'm working on writing up everything, it's turning out to be pretty
long. I'm assuming no prior PyPy knowledge in the readers though =)

Here are a few numbers from tests I just did.

python double-interpreted: > 78m (did not finish)
pypy-c (with jit) double-interpreted: 41m 34.528s
translated interpreter no jit: 45s
translated interpreter jit: 7.5s
 translated direct to C, gcc -O0
  translate: 0.2s
  compile: 0.4s
  run: 18.5s
translated direct to C, gcc -O1
  translate: 0.2s
  compile: 0.85s
  run: 1.28s
translated direct to C, gcc -O2
  translate: 0.2s
  compile: 2.0s
  run: 1.34s

These were all running the mandelbrot program.

-Andrew