[pypy-dev] Thinking about the GIL

Timothy Baldridge tbaldridge at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 20:08:20 CET 2011

I guess I'm missing something, but what's wrong with simply ripping
out the GIL? In C# we have threads, C FFI (via PInvoke), and never
have any major issues with threading. It seems to me that the GIL is
only needed because assumptions were made when writing the
interpreter. I don't know if it's full of global variables or
something, but can anyone explain why a GIL is needed at all? I've
done quite a bit of multi-threading programming, and I fail to see the
need for a GIL.

>Why duplicate what
> already exists?

Timothy