[pypy-dev] Debugging "cannot find gc roots!"

Alex Gaynor alex.gaynor at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 03:11:34 CEST 2011

Hi all (especially Armin and Amaury :-)),

In running my application I hit a "cannot find gc roots!", it reproduces
reliably, but it's a pain to isolate because it occurs in a very large
application, running under paste, with threads :(  What is the appropriate
way to try to debug this?  Running under gdb the program still prints out
the error and aborts, however gdb seems to think execution completed
normally, and as such doesn't drop me in anyplace.  What is the general
strategy for debugging such an issue, or would I be better off to just use
shadow stack?

Thanks,
Alex