[pypy-dev] static binaries please ...

David Malcolm dmalcolm at redhat.com
Mon Jun 13 21:03:10 CEST 2011

On Mon, 2011-06-13 at 14:05 +0200, Andreas wrote:
> I have just spent an hour compiling various libraries to get the pypy
> binaries to work (64bit, RHEL3). Probable because the distribution is old (I
> don't administer it) the shared libraries that pypy requires were not
> available. Compiling them by hand is a hassle (have to find options to enable
> shared objects etc.).
>
> Please distribute only _static_ binaries, the gains of shared libriares are
> completely insignificant compared to the hassle of when it doesn't work.

I know this is a slightly different approach to the one in your mail,
but FWIW, I've packaged pypy (1.5) in rpm form for Fedora, and it may be
possible to rebuild the pypy src.rpm on RHEL3.  Caveat: I've not tried
it, though I've had some success with this src.rpm on RHEL5 and RHEL6
(can take two hours or more to build, and you may want to disable the
  %check
section since this kills the build if certain test failures happen).

The specfile can be seen here:
  http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/gitweb/?p=pypy.git;a=tree
and the src.rpm here:
http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/packages/pypy/1.5/1.fc15/src/pypy-1.5-1.fc15.src.rpm