[pypy-dev] JIT for scripts

Alex Şuhan alex.suhan at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 18:20:58 CEST 2011

On 06/01/2011 06:51 PM, Laura Creighton wrote:
> Great to hear about PHP.  I hope you don't mind a question.  Were you
> able to reuse the Python object model for your PHP interpreter, or
> is the PHP object model too different?
>
> Laura

No, we weren't. We're reusing the Zend frontend and running (fast) the
resulting bytecode, therefore we need to accept its idiosyncrasies. The
references are way too weird to match the Python object model, I think.
Also, PHP is not as expressive as Python, therefore reusing all the
cleverness of the PyPy object model might be overkill. Long story short,
we're doing our best to match Zend's craziness while running faster.

--
asuhan