[pypy-dev] pypy for debian?

Tom Roche Tom_Roche at pobox.com
Sun Jul 31 21:28:51 CEST 2011

Anyone packaging pypy for debian? Why I ask:

I'm putting a FOSS project on ShiningPanda, which runs Debian 6 (squeeze), for CI. After seeing the speedup from pypy on my own hardware, I'd like to use pypy on SP, but they don't currently offer that option. Hence I'd like to ask SP to provide pypy along with the CPython versions they provide (rather than hafta provide it myself in each build environment I use, which would add to my setup time, defeating the purpose), but before I did that, I'd like to get some idea of how much work would be entailed, i.e., how much pain I'd be asking them to endure.

Adopting pypy would presumably be trivial for SP if there were pypy .deb, or even a PPA, but I'm not seeing anything like that after ubuntu hardy. Am I missing something? I see RH (appears to be) regularly packaging pypy, so I'm hoping someone's doing this for debian. If not, there's always `alien`.

TIA, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche at pobox.com>