[pypy-dev] Floating point computation

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Fri Jul 8 23:40:04 CEST 2011

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 10:59 AM, Maciej Fijalkowski <fijall at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The Translation and JIT backend for PyPy may be able to allow Python
>> programmers to use SIMD instructions directly from Python.
>
> We kind of want to do that automatically for numpy operations.

Can all basic SIMD instructions be mapped to numpy array operations?
If so, why doesn't numpy already use them?  (Or does it?)

And if not, then is there some existing C extension module for CPython
that exposes them somehow?  Of course CPython cannot hope for
impressive speedups with such an extension module, but such a module
in PyPy could be JITted and give massive speed benefits.

A bientôt,

Armin.