[pypy-dev] How to turn a crawling caterpillar of a VM into a graceful butterfly

Laurence Tratt laurie at tratt.net
Sat Dec 31 16:26:26 CET 2011

On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 12:29:40PM +0200, Maciej Fijalkowski wrote:

Hi Maciej,

> Overall great work, but I have to point out one thing - if you want us to
> look into benchmarks, you have to provide a precise benchmark and a precise
> way to run it (few examples would be awesome), otherwise for people who are
> not aware of the language this might pose a challenge.

At the moment, I'm not even sure I know what representative benchmarks might
be - it's certainly something I'd like advice on!

I did mention one simple benchmark in my message, which is "make regress" -
it compiles the compiler, standard library, examples, and tests. This
exercises most (not all, but most) of the infrastructure, so it's a pretty
decent test (though it may not be entirely JIT friendly, as it's lots of
small-ish tests; whether the JIT will warm up sufficiently is an open
question in my mind).

To run this test, I'd suggest something like:

  $ make clean ; cd vm ; make ; cd .. ; time make regress

The reason for that order is that it 1) cleans everything (in order that
it'll be built later) 2) compiles the VM on its own (we don't want to include
that in the timings!) 3) executes "make regress" and times it (without
including the VM build in the figures).

If you're interested in creating new micro-benchmarks, the language manual is
hopefully instructive:

  http://convergepl.org/documentation/1.2/quick_intro/

Let's say, for arguments sake, that you thought testing integer addition in a
loop is a good idea. This program will do the trick:

  func main():
    i := 0
    while i < 100000:
      i += 1

You can then compile it:

  $ convergec -m f.cv

and then execute it:

  $ time converge f

That way, you know you're not including the time needed to compile the program.

Yours,

Laurie
--
Personal                                             http://tratt.net/laurie/