[pypy-dev] Is PyPy appropriate for Django?

Leonardo Santagada santagada at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 23:59:24 CEST 2011

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 6:26 PM, Andy <angelflow at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> In the PyPy benchmark there's a Django test that shows tremendous speedup of
> Django when running PyPy-JIT. But that is just for Django templates. What
> about the other parts of Django?
> 1) For URL routing Django uses the re module, which is a C extension. Would
> JIT work with that?
the re module in pypy is not a c extension, so yes :)

> 2) Other parts such as DB driver also contains C code, again would that work
> with JIT? I suppose I could use a pure Python driver, but would a JIT'd pure
> Python driver be much slower than a native driver?

there is a ctypes driver for sqllite and mysql (this last one being
used in quora). There is a postgresql driver also but this one is a
little harder to get going (it needs to be translated with the pypy
interpreter) but there are pure python ones and they might be pretty
fast.

> In general are there any rules of thumbs regarding PyPy and C extensions -
> what works, what doesn't?

this question I will leave for amaury to respond.

--
Leonardo Santagada