[pypy-dev] python 3

Benjamin Peterson benjamin at python.org
Wed Aug 17 00:39:04 CEST 2011

2011/8/16 Yury Selivanov <yselivanov.ml at gmail.com>:
> Is it possible for pypy core developers to create a high-level roadmap with what needs to be done and where?  Should python3 be another translation target?  Will it be required to touch rpython spec?  What data structures need to be introduced?  etc.  I don't think this planning will take weeks of work, but it will help everyone to understand how much time and money should be invested in the matter.

First of all, there are some rather large decisions to be made:

1. Port everything (Python interpreter, RPython) over to Python 3 and
only support Python 3. This would probably be the cleanest and easiest
in the longterm solution, but I doubt many are willing to accept it
quite yet.

2. Somehow maintain Python 2 and 3 in the same codebase. It sounds
like a hideous mess to me. (I'm happy to be proven wrong.)

3. Maintain a Python 3 interpreter in a separate repo or branch. This
is probably the best compromise, but it requires the constant
maintenance of someone merging the current head work.

Then someone has to buckle down and do the actual porting. Depending
on the option selected above, the amount of work will vary from huge
to colossal. If you pick option 2, you have to figure out how to test
both versions. I imagine there will be quite a tangled mess with
unicode.

At any rate, some of the initial steps which are compatible with
Python 2 such as removing tuple unpacking and normalizing raise
statements can now be taken. They might even make the codebase a bit
cleaner.

--
Regards,
Benjamin