[pypy-dev] PyPy in the benchmarks game - yes or no?

Maciej Fijalkowski fijall at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 05:52:31 CEST 2011

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 4:31 AM, Leonardo Santagada <santagada at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 2:33 PM, Isaac Gouy <igouy2 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> So the position is that GCC is allowed to use extensions
>>> because it's the only C implementation shown and PyPy is not,
>>> because all Python programs should run on each runtime, is that
>>> correct?
>>
>> I don't see a way to compare CPython and PyPy unless the comparison programs do at least run on both CPython and PyPy (and x86 and x64).
>
> I don't see why this is, it is the same as comparing python to ruby, I
> want to see how fast can you make a program in said vm that does the
> same task. If the description of the problem doesn't limit what you
> can use I really don't see why can't you use a PyPy (or cpython)
> extension for it.
>
> For me a shootout without extensions (at least without numpy) is just
> comparing how fast a language can do without anything, which is not
> interesting at all. One where c programs can use libraries but python
> cannot is even more meaningless.

Leonardo please calm down a bit.

I can see reasons and why I might not agree with that, they do make
sense and can be justified. It does make sense to compare CPython and
PyPy on the same set of benchmarks (actually that's what we do with
speed.pypy.org, we deliberately tried to avoid modifying benchmarks).