[pypy-dev] Question on the future of RPython

Paolo Giarrusso p.giarrusso at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 09:56:24 CEST 2010

Hi,
I was curious about the interplay between type inference and separate
compilation.

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 09:09, William Leslie
<william.leslie.ttg at gmail.com> wrote:
> At the moment, the lack of separate compilation is a real issue
> standing in the way of using rpython as a general purpose language, or
> even as an extension language. Having to re-translate *everything*
> every time you want to install an extension module is not on. Even C
> doesn't require that.

> The other is that type inference is global and changes you make to one
> function can have far-reaching consequences.
Is it module-global or is it performed on the whole program?
I guess you'd need modular type inference before allowing separate
compilation, and of course lots of implementation work.
Functional languages allow separate compilation - is there any
RPython-specific problem for that? I've omitted my guesses here.
--
Paolo Giarrusso - Ph.D. Student
http://www.informatik.uni-marburg.de/~pgiarrusso/