[pypy-dev] pre-emptive micro-threads utilizing shared memory message passing?

Maciej Fijalkowski fijall at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 21:40:35 CEST 2010

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 9:36 PM, Evan Cofsky <evan at theunixman.com> wrote:
> On 07/27 11:48, Maciej Fijalkowski wrote:
>> Right now, no. But there are ways in which you can experiment. Truly
>> concurrent threads (depends on implicit vs explicit shared memory)
>> might require a truly concurrent GC to achieve performance. This is
>> work (although not as big as removing refcounting from CPython for
>> example).
>
> Would starting to remove the GIL then be a useful project for someone
> (like me, for example) to undertake? It might be a good start to
> experimentation with other kinds of concurrency. I've been interested in
> Software Transactional Memory
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_transactional_memory).
>
> --
> Evan Cofsky <evan at theunixman.com>

I think removing GIL is not a good place to start. It's far too
complex without knowing codebase (it's fairly complex with knowing
codebase). There are many related projects, which are smaller in size
and eventually might lead to having some idea how to remove the GIL.
If you're interested, come to #pypy on IRC to discuss.

Cheers,
fijal