[pypy-dev] 1.4.1 threading

Dima Tisnek dimaqq at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 02:47:14 CET 2010

Thanks for the RTFP pointer, the Triplett ref, hash tab via rt is
really interesting!

I think I'll have to read it again and again to get all out of it...

This brings me to a new question: how much is pypy python memory model
allowed to diverge from that of cpython?

For example, dict lookups, etc, could be relativistic in the absense
of explicit synchronization, that is, dict updates are not quaranteed
to propagate [fast] until [some] therad acquires a lock [or
something]. Of course the order of dict mutation has to be preserved.
Would this be a worthwhile departure from GIL-based monotonic world?

That is thread-safe code, that uses locks or some other mechanism
[known to pypy] would see operations timely and in order, while code
that doesn't synchronize its operations may see somewhat outdated
shared state, as if threads executed in slightly different global
order.

About profiling, how do I distinguish between attribute vs globals vs
builtins lookups in the profile?

d.