[pypy-dev] Leysin Winter sprint: Jan 16-22

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Thu Dec 9 16:14:15 CET 2010

         PyPy Leysin Winter Sprint (16-22nd January 2011)

As announced on http://morepypy.blogspot.com/2010/12/leysin-winter-sprint.html,
the next PyPy sprint will be in Leysin, Switzerland, for the
seventh time.  This is a fully public sprint: newcomers and topics
other than those proposed below are welcome.

------------------------------
Goals and topics of the sprint
------------------------------

* Now that we have released 1.4, and plan to release 1.4.1 soon
  (possibly before the sprint), the sprint itself is going to be
  mainly working on fixing issues reported by various users. Of
  course this does not prevent people from showing up with a more
  precise interest in mind.  If there are newcomers, we will gladly
  give introduction talks.

* We will also work on polishing and merging the long-standing
  branches that are around, which could eventually lead to the
  next PyPy release.  These branches are notably:

  - fast-forward (Python 2.7 support, by Benjamin, Amaury, and others)
  - jit-unroll-loops (improve JITting of smaller loops, by Hakan)
  - arm-backend (a JIT backend for ARM, by David)
  - jitypes2 (fast ctypes calls with the JIT, by Antonio).

* And as usual, the main side goal is to have fun in winter sports :-)
  We can take a day off for ski.

-----------
Exact times
-----------

The work days should be 16-22 January 2011.  People may arrive on
the 15th already and/or leave on the 23rd.

-----------------------
Location & Accomodation
-----------------------

Leysin, Switzerland, "same place as before".  Let me refresh your
memory: both the sprint venue and the lodging will be in a very spacious
pair of chalets built specifically for bed & breakfast:
http://www.ermina.ch/.  The place has a good ADSL Internet connexion
with wireless installed.  You can of course arrange your own
lodging anywhere (as long as you are in Leysin, you cannot be more than a
15 minutes walk away from the sprint venue), but I definitely recommend
lodging there too -- you won't find a better view anywhere else (though you
probably won't get much worse ones easily, either :-)

Please *confirm* that you are coming so that we can adjust the reservations
as appropriate.  The rate so far has been around 60 CHF a night all included
in 2-person rooms, with breakfast.  There are larger rooms too (less
expensive) and maybe the possibility to get a single room if you really want
to.

Please register by svn:

  http://codespeak.net/svn/pypy/extradoc/sprintinfo/leysin-winter-2011/people.txt

or on the pypy-sprint mailing list if you do not yet have check-in rights:

You need a Swiss-to-(insert country here) power adapter.  There will be
some Swiss-to-EU adapters around -- bring a EU-format power strip if you
have one.