[pypy-dev] Why isn't the PyPy logo Ouroboros(Snake biting its tail)?

holger krekel holger at merlinux.eu
Tue Oct 20 13:46:18 CEST 2009

Hi Michael,

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 10:54 +0100, Michael Foord wrote:
> 2009/10/20 holger krekel <holger at merlinux.eu>

> > > with Carl we considered yesterday:
> > >
> > > - vmribo  from contracting ribosome
> > >
> > > and
> > >
> > > - vmdjinn
> >
> > nice - i like the "djinn" meme - so also throw
> >
> >    djynn - which VM do you want to generate today?
> >

> I like PICT - Python Interpreter Compiler Toolchain.
>
> There is already a PICT (microcontrollers I think) so what about:
>
> PyCT: Python Compiler Toolchain.

For the Translator tool chain i suggest to avoid a "Py" prefix and
also avoid the "python compiler" association. Here's why:

* I'd like to encourage VM developüers who identify with other languages
  to consider using the "xxx" tool chain instead of C/JVM/NET to
  implement their VM.

* "Compiling Python" easily stirs the misconception that the
  focus is on statically compiling Python apps.

best,
holger