[pypy-dev] Why isn't the PyPy logo Ouroboros(Snake biting its tail)?

holger krekel holger at merlinux.eu
Mon Oct 19 15:21:33 CEST 2009

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 15:05 +0200, Carl Friedrich wrote:
> Leonardo Santagada wrote:
> >> I read somewhere that PyPy is no more a project dedicated to Python,
> >> but it's
> >> a little bit more generic. If the project is splitted in two parts
> >> (generic
> >> compiler + python interpreter), Ouroboros would be the logo of the
> >> python
> >> interpreter, right?
> >
> > Separating the pypy translator/compiler from the pypy python
> > interpreter (preferably with different names) is something I would
> > love to see happen. The first thing you have to say to someone when
> > explaining pypy is "pypy is two completely different (but related)
> > things..." so different logos and names would help a lot.
>
> While I agree, to do this we would have to come up with a name for the
> translation toolchain part. And coming up with names is even harder than
> coming up with logos.

but it shouldn't fail just because we are afraid of a naming discussion.
I suggest a termination criterium for the discussion like the next
sprint meetup in Duesseldorf (6th till 13th October) and have
attendants agree / vote with or without prior beers.

> > But who should get the Ouroboros logo I don't know.
>
> The Python interpreter part of course.

yip.  so we need a name for our super-powered ultra-flexible translator.

cheers,
holger