[pypy-dev] Does PyPy supports Java ME?

holger krekel holger at merlinux.eu
Thu Oct 8 15:57:05 CEST 2009

On Thu, Oct 08, 2009 at 15:30 +0200, Jan Wedel wrote:
> > Do you have a pointer to documentation or a text that says so?
>
> Yes :
>
> http://codespeak.net/pypy/extradoc/eu-report/D11.1_PyPy_for_Embedded_Devices-2007-03-26.pdf
>
> > It should be possible with future versions of PyPy to use the
> framework in other ways in the embedded context
> > for instance by shipping a restricted version of the interpreter,
> dedicated to the interpretation of a given
> > set of programs.
>
> I think I read something more precise but I couldn't find it anymore.

That use case study mainly worked with using RPython and says
that its efficiency is not far from using C.  I guess this
could be extended to also apply for Java-ME so that an RPython
program would run as fast as native Java.

A restricted version of the existing Python interpreter is
quite a lot of work and it's unclear how successful it could
be.  Python might be an easy-to-read and to-learn language but
it's internals are quite complex, unfortunately.

best,
holger