[pypy-dev] is there incremental building for the translator?

Philip Guo pg at cs.stanford.edu
Wed Oct 7 01:49:31 CEST 2009

As a general rule, should I be trying to implement my PyPy extensions as new
object spaces (e.g., like the thunk object space)?

For the first draft of my hacked interpreter, I just made changes all
throughout the core PyPy interpreter codebase, which worked fine when I was
running in interpreted mode (py.py), but as soon as I tried to translate to
create pypy-c, understandable all hell broke loose and translation
mysteriously failed.  I'm pretty sure that some of my hacks screwed
something up.

The thing is, I want to hack some changes to affect control flow, and I
don't know how to do that with an object space.  In particular, I want to
alter control flow so that some function calls execute normally but other
ones don't actually execute the function call but rather use a memoized
return value that I previously saved.  It's fairly straightforward to do by
hacking PyPy interpreter directly, but I can't think of an easy way to do it
with a separate object space.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Philip