[pypy-dev] unladen/swallow, pyjs+pyv8, pyjs+python-spidermonkey: accessing c python modules from optimised python compilers

Michael Foord fuzzyman at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 19:51:26 CEST 2009

2009/4/7 Armin Rigo <arigo at tunes.org>

> Hi Luke,
>
> On Sun, Apr 05, 2009 at 06:10:28PM +0000, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
> wrote:
> > the "fly in the ointment" is that for "full" optimisation to occur, it
> > is necessary to "break out" from the prison that intobject.c,
> > longobject.c etc. make.
> >
> > once this prison is opened, by turning the hard-coded python types
> > into a more flexible and dynamically-overridable architecture, you
> > (the pypy developers) will be free to write modules that will allow
> > interoperability between [admittedly recompiled] c-based python
> > modules, with no effort [other than recompilation] required on the
> > part of the users.
>
> I am not sure what the point you are trying to make is, just by reading
> a bit of the URL you pointed to.  Maybe I should read more... :-/
>
> I should just point out that supporting C extension modules in PyPy has
> been discussed, but the obvious conclusion was that you can't just
> recompile the ones from CPython and hope that they work (unless you do
> completely evil tricks, e.g. with the garbage collector).

Well, we've achieved binary compatibility with a large proportion of the
Python C-API for IronPython (including GC and GIL issues) with Ironclad.

http://resolversystems.com/documentation/index.php/Ironclad

It certainly *can* be done. It's a lot of work to reimplement the Python
C-API though. :-)

Michael

http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/