[pypy-dev] PyPy 1.1 beta release

Paolo Giarrusso p.giarrusso at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 04:33:32 CEST 2009

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 04:17, Steven H. Rogers <steve at shrogers.com> wrote:
> No.  100% faster takes half the time.
First, PyPy takes (up to) twice the time of CPython.

Second, If A is 100% _slower_ than B, I take twice as much as your
time; but in that case, you can't infer that B takes 100% less time -
percentage sentences are not reversible like that; it takes 50% less
time than B, so I'd say it's 50% faster. Analogously (or for the same
reason), if from an amount of 100 €, you subtract 50% and you add the
50% of the result, you get 50 + 25 = 75 €.

At least, when you write "20 percent slower", you were referring to
the 0.8x factor (but I still think you should have written "PyPy can
be from 20% faster to 100% slower than CPython", to be absolutely
clear.

By linear scaling, I guess, 20% faster would mean "new runtime = 0.9
old runtime", but that doesn't make sense.

--
Paolo Giarrusso