[pypy-dev] http://code.google.com/p/unladen-swallow/wiki/ProjectPlan

Maciej Fijalkowski fijall at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 06:50:56 CEST 2009

On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 10:42 PM, Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml at behnel.de> wrote:
> Christian Tismer wrote:
>> The Q1 goals are relatively doable without doubt. The current
>> achievements speedwise remind me of the anxient Python2C project.
>> It showed the typical acceleration by a factor of around 2, which
>> is what you can expect when eliminating the interpreter loop.
>
> A bit less than that, but this sounds about right. Last I tried (somewhere
> before the 0.10 release), Cython gave you a total of about 10-30% for (most
> of) pybench, some things (like loops) being really more in the order of a
> factor of 2 to 6. I'd expect it to be another bit more in 0.12.
>

>>> "Eliminate the GIL" is not hard by itself [...]
>> As I remember that patch, the overhead was around 40%, mostly because
>> of reference counting. I guess nobody actually goes this path,
>> because it is such a waste, compared to multiple processes, and doing
>> it "right" (where I'm referring to some Java achievements I heard of)
>> is pretty much of a total re-write of Python.
>>
>> I'm pretty much wondering if the latter makes sense, given the
>> existence of PyPy.
>
> ... and Cython. The fact that Cython uses CPython's C-API doesn't mean that
> it's not in the same order as a Python implementation. We just happily
> reuse what's there already - and we happily use it to interface with what's
> there already.
>
> Stefan

I'm completely not up to argue, but cython is effectively a compiler
right? (which means you cannot just run it - you need to compile it
first and wait). I expect jit to be a little more transparent than
that.

btw - does cython support all of the python language or just a subset
(sorry for ignorance)

Cheers,
fijal