[pypy-dev] Switching to a distributed version control system

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Sat Sep 13 17:03:57 CEST 2008

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 16:29:36 +0200, Armin Rigo <arigo at tunes.org> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 12:13:04AM +0200, Jacob Hallén wrote:
>> I think that it would be a suitable point in time to switch to a new version
>> control system right after the 1.1 release.
>
>I haven't read this thread in detail, but I should quickly mention that
>subversion works quite well enough from my point of view.
>
>An obstacle to switching is the amount of integration efforts that was
>done, mainly on codespeak, between the repository and various other
>facilities.  It is ok to discuss alternatives, but we need to keep in
>mind that someone will have to stand up and redo all that work on
>codespeak.

In order to try to simplify discussions about changing tools, Twisted
has tried to start building up a centralized list of the important
features we use (still something of a work in progress):

  http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/wiki/WorkflowRequirements

If someone writes up something similar for PyPy then it might be easier
to talk about what tools can be replaced, what the consequences are, etc.

Jean-Paul