[pypy-dev] Benchmarking django admin app

Maciej Fijalkowski fijall at gmail.com
Sat Jun 21 20:24:40 CEST 2008

I did some benchmarks for django admin app. It was fairly hard since
django is good at eating exceptions (there are like 3 levels that can
eat your SystemExit) which makes it hard to correctly exit
application. Anyway, it seems that our ctypes is huge problem there,
calling of ctypes functions eats 20% of time overall (which is fairly
a lot for 1-value table).

C-level benchmark does not show anything specific. Overall it's about
3x slower than cpython, which is fairly bad (it uses the same
ctypes-based pysqlite). I think we should repeat this exercise after
faster ctypes and see how this goes.

I don't have any reasonable benchmark to try without DB, since default
webpage takes 4ms to create (12 on pypy-c), but it can be some small
issue that makes huge difference. (And we don't support builtin
benchmarking for pypy)

Cheers,
fijal