[pypy-dev] real-time gc ?

Simon Burton simon at arrowtheory.com
Tue Jan 29 18:06:22 CET 2008

I've taken some statistics on how the boehm gc performs with our current application,
it has terrible worst case performance, often stopping for hundreds of mS at a time.

I tried calling GC_enable_incremental() but that seems to cause the code to explode.

I don't have any idea how to obtain similar statistics for the refcounting gc, which
is also non-realtime. Perhaps it is in fact worse than boehm in this regard.

Over-all CPU usage is significantly less with boehm, but a lot can happen in 300mS of
a garbage collection.

I don't think it's feasable compiling the pypy interpreter with refcounting, it takes
a truly vast amount of time (some hours...)

It would be good using the pypy interpreter to script our rpython codebase, but this
gc issue seems to be a blocker.

Simon.