[pypy-dev] How to learn RPython as a general purpose language

Martin C. Martin martin at martincmartin.com
Fri Jan 25 23:19:15 CET 2008

In RPython, you can't call into other libraries, be they C or Python.
Also, calling RPython from Python is "pretty unofficial and
unsupported."  Given that much of modern programming centers around
connecting various libraries together, this makes RPython a poor choice
for most practical work.

At the moment, the most straight forward way to learn RPython is to
learn Python, then learn the restrictions of RPython, since RPython is a
subset of Python.  The easiest way to do this is, basically, keep
writing Python and seeing what the translator will and won't accept.

Please correct me if I'm wrong; I've only spent a few days looking at
RPython.

Best,
Martin