[pypy-dev] interrupts, preemption, threads

Daniel Farina drfarina at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 10:46:40 CET 2008

Hello list,

I wasn't able to locate any of the keywords ['interrupt',
'preemption', 'thread'] in the web documentation, so I come to
the list to ask what is roughly the status of these things in the
generated PyPy virtual machines on whatever applicable platforms.

What I am not asking about is PyPy's Python implemention of
threads, but rather support for those writing their own
interpreters.

Example scenarios:

- timeouts on arbitrary code fragments (conflated by the fact
that non-terminating interrupt-disabling code will allow code to
ignore the timeout, but I digress)

- writing a preemptive scheduler of closures

- making use of two processors

- triggering garbage collections

fdr