[pypy-dev] Sun's Open JDK Challenge http://openjdk.java.net/challenge/

holger krekel holger at merlinux.de
Mon Feb 18 21:13:28 CET 2008

Hi Laura, hi everyone interested in PyPy/JVM and oo backends,

as it happens, Carl Friedrich, Maciej and me discussed
about it this morning :)  We know that Anto is interested
in the Da-Vinci JVM challenge.  So I sent a note to Anto and
Niko asking about their availability - they are in vacation
right now.

A possible idea to go on might be this:

a) interested people get together to work out technical PyPy/Da-Vinci
   related promises given a project span of 6 months (18th March
   till 4th August 2008).

   Deadline for proposals is 2nd March.  We can send
   drafts earlier to Sun's mailing list.  See
   already existing proposals here:

   http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/challenge-discuss/2008-February/thread.html

   Note: Sun grants money at the end of the project (~August 2008),
   depending on project outcome and ranking/comparison with other
   projects.

b) we could plan for 2-3 PyPy sprints with a major subtopic of implementing
   the proposal's promises.  let's aim at travel+subsistence
   reimbursment for proposal active people.

c) developers working on proposal topics could note down their
   hours and we use this a indication for money distribution in
   case of success.  (Sun ranks the implemented projects at the
   end of the project and money is distributed according to it)

I can offer to help with writing a proposal and also with communication
and organisation of administrative and legal issues, probably
through "merlinux", a company driven by long time
PyPy and py.test people, see http://merlinux.de .

However, IMO the main current issue is to come up with possible
goals and technical promises.  Any comments and ideas about
possible PyPy/JVM Da-Vinci technical goals?

Otherwise i guess we may need to wait for Anto and
Niko getting back.

best & cheers,

holger