[pypy-dev] Threaded interpretation (was: Re: compiler optimizations: collecting ideas)

Antonio Cuni anto.cuni at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 09:41:21 CET 2008

Carl Friedrich Bolz wrote:

> About better implementations of the bytecode dispatch I am unsure. Note
> however, that a while ago we did measurements to see how large the
> bytecode dispatch overhead is. I don't recall the exact number, but I
> think it was below 10%.

I think it's something more.  There is the 'rbench' module that contains
geninterpreted versions of both richards and pystone; IIRC last time I tried
they where ~50% faster than they interpreted counterparts, on both pypy-c and
pypy-cli.

Of course, with geninterp you remove more than just the interpretatiom
overhead, as e.g. locals are stored on the stack instead that on a frame.

ciao,
Anto