[pypy-dev] problem with svn-checkout pypy

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Mon Aug 4 02:21:43 CEST 2008

On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 18:11:08 -0400, lawful falafel <lawfulfalafel at gmail.com> wrote:
>I checked out a copy of pypy today and upon trying to run "python
>pypy-dist/pypy/bin/py.py" I get this error:
>
>k at k-desktop:~$ python pypy-dist/pypy/bin/py.py
>[cbuild:execute] cc -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -pthread -c gcctest.c -o
>gcctest.o
>Traceback (most recent call last):
> [snip]
>    raise CompilationError(data)
>pypy.translator.tool.cbuild.CompilationError: gcctest.c:3:20: error:
>stdlib.h: No such file or directory
>gcctest.c:4:23: error: sys/types.h: No such file or directory
>gcctest.c: In function 'main':
>gcctest.c:11: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in
>function 'printf'
>gcctest.c:13:2: warning: no newline at end of file
>command 'cc' failed with exit status 1

Notice that the reason the cc command failed is that "sys/types.h" could
not be found.  This probably means you're on a system that lacks a full
"development environment".  As it seems you're on Ubuntu, a convenient
way to get a lot of the requirements for PyPy is probably this command,
run as root:

    apt-get build-dep python2.5

This is because a lot of the build dependencies of PyPy and CPython
overlap.  This won't necessarily give you everything you need to do
everything with PyPy (for example, it won't install libgc or libgc-dev,
which is needed in order for a boehm-based transation to work) but it's
probably a good start.

> [snip]
>
>p.s. I know this is a pretty noob question, and I am not sure if a
>development mailing list is the right place to post it, but right now it
>seems like the only potential place I can find. Am I wrong in this
>assumption, and is there another list dedicated to people trying to get into
>pypy?

I think this is a perfectly fine question for this list. :)

Jean-Paul