[pypy-dev] [Fwd: Re: Fan Programing Language]

Antonio Cuni anto.cuni at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 11:25:17 CEST 2008

Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:
> Niko Matsakis wrote:
>>> there is an interesting thread going on on the jvm-languages mailing
>>> list; among the other things, I discovered that the JVM can handle
>>> the exception much faster if you override the fillInStack method to
>>> do nothing instead of building the traceback.
>>
>> I didn't know about overriding the fillInStack method, that should be
>> fairly easy to do.
>
> Trivial even.

I tried to manually override fillInStackTrace by editing the generated
.j file; the resulting pypy-jvm runs about 8% faster on richards and 14%
on pystone.

> And if you are just using exceptions as a message-passing or
> stack-unrolling mechanism, just instantiate it once per thread.

I think we already do that; all the standard exceptions are prebuilt
objects, stored as public static fields.

I don't know if there are other exceptions that are used inside the
interpreter to unroll the stack but which are not prebuilt.

ciao,
anto