[pypy-dev] 46638 made Stackless to crash.

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Sun Sep 16 16:37:50 CEST 2007

Hello Armin,

> On Sun, Sep 16, 2007 at 01:58:36AM +0200, Christian Tismer wrote:
>> today you pointed me to stackless failures.
>>
>> They were caused by your revision 46638.
>
> I wouldn't be surprized if that was my fault - I recently caused JIT
> tests to break in a completely unexpected manner by changing apparently
> unrelated code.  However it seems that you are mistaken in this case:
> the failures I'm referring to (e.g. [1]) have been on the wyvern report
> page since a few days longer than 46638.  On my laptop I found that they
> are there since revision 46507 - this is the revision that fixes the
> IndentationError in stackless.py.
>
> Maybe a caching problem?  Try removing the pypy/_cache directory (and
> all .pyc files as usual...).
>
> [1] http://wyvern.cs.uni-duesseldorf.de/pypytest/46667/failed/lib.app_test.test_stackless.py.Test_Stacklesstest_balance_recv.html

I'm not convinced. What I did yesterday was a completely new
check-out, and I could binary search to 46638 in a repeatable way.

I will try again now with cache clearing - no, ATM I even don't
have a _cache.

Ok, the result is the same.
Exactly this change to pypy/tool/cache.py causes the errors.
After the change, the threading module can no longer import thread,
as like the stackless module no longer can import greenlet.

cheers - chris