[pypy-dev] missing things for making PyPy "production" ready (for some value of production)

Antonio Cuni anto.cuni at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 10:46:23 CET 2007

Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:

> Wiring in support for calling Java libraries won't be particularly
> difficult, given the many reflective capabilities already present for
> Java. But I agree it needs to be there for most people to find a lot of
> use.

Indeed, I think this is the easiest part to do.

> However, if PyPy on JVM can be brought to a point where it can actually
> run real Python apps (especially apps that would be useful in the
> domains where Java is useful) the integration question can be delayed a
> bit. Jython, for example, can't run anything. If PyPy could beat that in
> the short term and get something non-trivial running well, it would be a
> huge bonus.

I think that since we are highly compatible with CPython, existing
Python apps are likely to work in pypy-jvm, modulo the fact that we
still miss many libraries.

For example, as Jean Paul said he was able to run a twisted IRC bot
using pypy-c; I think/hope it to work also on pypy-jvm once we have
implemented modules like socket & co.

> That's the work I meant, thanks for clarifying. Is this actively being
> worked right now?

The JVM backend has been mostly written by me and Niko Matsakis. At the
moment both of us work on it in our spare time, but if my phd proposal
gets accepted I should be able to work on it much more continuously.

ciao Anto