[pypy-dev] more problems building PyPy-JVM

Antonio Cuni anto.cuni at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 10:11:47 CET 2007

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Hi there,

Hi Martijn,

> To start off, please note I haven't worked with Java in the past. I'm
> the proper kind of newbie to try out PyPy-JVM. :)
[cut]
> Do I need a different version of jasmin? 'jasmin -version' reports:
>
> Jasmin version: v sable-1.2

Yes, it looks like you need another version of jasmin; the mine is this:

$ jasmin -version
Jasmin version: v2.2

I think you can download it from here:
http://jasmin.sourceforge.net/

I honestly don't know what "sable" means in you version string.

> Also for my next step, assuming I get it to work after this, what'd I
> need do to start it up to run a script or see a Python prompt? The pypy
> docs on the website still have the JVM project being in an earlier stage
> than it really is, so it doesn't really say yet.

Ah, good point, thanks; I suppose I could update the docs to explain how
to install everything needed and how to translate pypy-jvm.

Anyway, after the compilation you can find your pypy-jvm.jar inside the
translator/goal directory; to run it simply type:

$ java -jar pypy-jvm.jar

Together with the jar file we create also a script called pypy-jvm that
invokes java -jar, so if you are on unix you can also type:

$ ./pypy-jvm

ciao Anto