[pypy-dev] PyPy sync next week?

Carl Friedrich Bolz cfbolz at gmx.de
Wed Jun 6 23:03:37 CEST 2007

Dethe Elza wrote:
 > On 6-Jun-07, at 9:58 AM, Maciek Fijalkowski wrote:
 >> I know you're quite tired right now and all, but I think it would be
 >> good to make some kind of pypy-sync next week or even the week
 >> after (we
 >> need to decide on sprint topics anyway).
 >
 > I'm quite new to this list.  Could you explain what a sync is?  Would
 > it be face-to-face, via this list, or IRC?

A sync-meeting is a 30 minute IRC meeting where active PyPy developers
meet to discuss current issues. There is a fixed part, where everybody
posts three prepared lines (LAST, NEXT, BLOCKERS) about what he worked
in the last days, what he plans to work on and what is blocking his
work. Afterwards there are topics that vary between the meetings. Feel
free to attend!

 >> Particularly I would like to know people's opinion on pypy's scope.

This sounds more like a mailing list discussion to me, since it can
quickly get out of hand. I would propose to have a smaller discussion at
a sync-meeting about the plans of the individuals in the next months, to
get a bit of an overview. Afterwards we can start some common planning
of what good next steps would be (which would include a rough sprint
planning). How does that sound?

 >> What
 >> we would like to support, what we would like to drop support for, what
 >> are the short-term project directions etc.
 >
 > I'm quite interested in the scope question.  I would love to see
 > Python adopt Erlang-like concurrency primitives, but that doesn't
 > appear to be a direction Guido and the C-Python team are willing to
 > take, making PyPy my best hope for this.

If we discuss scope we are probably discussing how to reduce our scope,
since we are doing a lot already. So if you want any new features, you
would have to implement them yourself. I don't know Erlang, but it's
possible that you can just implement this stuff on top of PyPy's Python
interpreter with the help of stackless features rather easily.

Cheers,

Carl Friedrich