[pypy-dev] sprint report

Michael Hudson micahel at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 15:20:36 CEST 2007

On 17/07/07, Carl Friedrich Bolz <cfbolz at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> Since I didn't manage to come to Europython and the sprint afterwards, I
> would really appreciate it if somebody wrote a sprint report. Since I
> guess that is kind of unlikely to happen now, could at least everybody
> write a paragraph about what he worked on?

Samuele and I hacked on the twisted mess of memory management
implementations.  Basically we managed to much simplify the interface
the low-level backends need to provide -- there is no longer any need
to support any 'malloc' operation that deals with types.  There is
still confusion between various malloc flavours and operations, but
it's getting better.

Backends that support Boehm need to implement three new operations:
boehm_malloc, boehm_malloc_atomic and boehm_register_finalizer.  These
could/should one day be removed and implemented with rffi (they're
just function calls to named function^Wmacros, after all), but that
seemed like too much wizardry for the time we had.

Cheers,
mwh