[pypy-dev] translating classes to javascript

Maciek Fijalkowski fijal at genesilico.pl
Sat Feb 17 22:41:06 CET 2007

John Smith wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I'm fairly new to pypy and was only doing some experimenting with the
> javascript translator so far. First of all let me say that the whole
> project is pretty amazing!
>
> After translating a couple of functions I tried translating a class,
> but was unsuccessful so far but since the docs mention supporting
> inheritance I guess this should be possible. Is it?
>
> For instance if I have in RPython the following:
>
> class test:
>     def __init__( self, value ):
>        self.value = value
>     def meth1( self ):
>        return self.value
>     def meth2( self ):
>        do_something_which_is_translatable( )
>
> then how do I get the corresponding javascript code? Since the docs
> say jscompile should be invoked by 'jscompile module function_names'
> I'm kind of lost. The same holds for rpython2javascript it expects a
> list of functions.
>
> Any insight or comment would be very helpful.

> Need Mail bonding?
> Go to the Yahoo! Mail Q&A
> <http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/index;_ylc=X3oDMTFvbGNhMGE3BF9TAzM5NjU0NTEwOARfcwMzOTY1NDUxMDMEc2VjA21haWxfdGFnbGluZQRzbGsDbWFpbF90YWcx?link=ask&sid=396546091>
> for great tips from Yahoo! Answers
> <http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/index;_ylc=X3oDMTFvbGNhMGE3BF9TAzM5NjU0NTEwOARfcwMzOTY1NDUxMDMEc2VjA21haWxfdGFnbGluZQRzbGsDbWFpbF90YWcx?link=ask&sid=396546091>
> users.
Hi John!

Because usual way of invoking javascript on your browser is to call a
function, you need a function where you'll begin. Like:

# class test as above

def f():
   test_instance = test(3)
   test_instance.meth()

and translate function f. Your class will magically appear in translated
javascript.

Cheers,
fijal