[pypy-dev] PyPy JVM Backend

Antonio Cuni anto.cuni at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 10:42:43 CEST 2007

Maciek Fijalkowski wrote:

> Part of it is a SoC anyway, so I don't think we care in what order SoC
> is done. (and personally I think it makes sense to provide Java bindings
> first and than to care about the translation).

Well, strictly speaking java bindings for rpython are not part of Paul's
SoC proposal but indeed they are probably the most effective way to
implement other features that he promised.

Btw, I'm not sure it's a good idea to develop them as the first task in
PyPy, because it's not straightforward if you have no experience with
the rtyper.

My suggestion is to start by porting tests to genjvm and fixing the
discovered bugs, because it should be a more newcomer-friendly task;
then java-bindings for rpython and I/O layer; finally finally
translation of pypy-jvm.

Paul, what do you think of this plan?

ciao Anto